Oh yes, it is happening and it is beautiful.
During the first half of the year I really pushed the importance of reading the letters, remembering what sounds they make, blending words, and writing the letters correctly. Not to say that we are not still practicing those things, but they are starting to write. Truly write.
They all have their own notebooks which they use to "journal" about their weekend, or make rough drafts for their weekly writing. But I wanted to really see how far some students could push themselves when writing. Once/If they finished their reading station today they were to write about their favorite part of school. This is some of the sentences I got back from a variety of levels:
I like to pla at kid tim (I like to play at kid time)
I like to rit big werds (I like to write big words)
I like to sig songs nd dans! (I like to sing songs and dance)
I like to read big books and rit words. (I like to read big books and write words)
I like to play with mi frends. I like to dans with ms parr. (I like to play with my friends. I like to dance with Miss Parr)
You can clearly tell that they are all working on becoming good decoders. Granted, some may be further along than others, but they are all giving their best and learning! What an exciting day :)

No comments:
Post a Comment