Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect! Right?!

Well today we were DIBELed for the second time this year. For those of you that don't know, DIBELS stands for Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills. It is an assessment system designed to assess all students' progress. The students are tested three times a year; Fall, Mid-Year, and again in the Spring.
As a teacher it is my job to make sure that they are all prepared, knowledgeable, and making adequate progress. Therefore, it isn't only a stressful time for students, but it is also stressful for the teacher!
Once again, being new to this whole system, I felt fairly confident that all my students were prepared to the best of their ability. We had practiced the expectations, the questions, and the rules. Today, I had to take them down right after lunch, so yes, no brain break for these kiddos! And boy, was it a learning adventure!
I walk my students down three minutes early, in alphabetical order. Each one was carrying their white boards, markers, and socks to practice their words while they waited. Sounds peaceful enough right?
Well the students were all doing their job, but just so happens that I forgot to do my job! I forgot to bring down ALL their test booklets from the previous testing. So I briskly walk - because running is against the rules - all the way back to my classroom, at the other end of the school, and then briskly walk back and hand them the booklets.
The test administrator politely smiles at me and then says, "Now do you have their scoring slips?" And off I go again, briskly walking back to my room again to get their scoring sheets. And my luck didn't stop then. During our testing period, we were outside their 4th grade room lockers and their lunch break happened to fall during our testing period. Therefore we had to have everyone quietly stand up, move to the other side of the hallway, and reposition themselves in alphabetically order - which is always interesting to witness 20 kindergartners do!
After it was all said and done, I am proud to say WE survived and my pandas did very well! Hopefully, the more times I do this routine, the more I will perfect the procedures. Because with time and patience, practice really does make perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment