"Martin Luther King they say, thought of friendship everyday. He just wanted you and me, to live together peacefully."
Today we talked about Martin Luther King Jr because we will not have school Monday. Throughout the day we had a lot of mini lessons that we broke out into to discuss who he was, why he was important, and create projects from what we learned. Throughout, the day a lot of interesting statements were made, that made me appreciate their hearts.
As we were painting our hands one student looked at me and said: "Miss Parr, my dad's hands aren't either of these colors, would Mr. King still want to be his friend?"
I had another student that saw a picture of Martin Luther King and said: "That's weird, a long time ago we had a dark King. But Obama is our first dark president."
After watching a video on Martin Luther a student went home and asked: "Since I am black like Martin Luther King Jr, will I get shot when I am older too?"
It is little comments like these that I receive everyday that make my job completely worthwhile. They are my constant reminders that they truly have so much to learn about life, yet they aren't afraid to question their thinking.
And that, is a very powerful thing.


No comments:
Post a Comment